Monday, February 22, 2010

Willow's Reflections on Dominica

Hi this is Willow. Alden and I made a joke. It was funny because I said “what a lovely day in winter” and there was no snow. While we were hiking yesterday, it felt as if I was inside the sun it was so hot! We visited a fort and there were real cannons. My mom and I played war. This was also where Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed. After our hike we saw a guy selling jelly coconuts from his wheelbarrow. He opened the top with his machete so we could drink some juice. A machete is a huge knife!

Mom and Dad took pictures, and they said they will put on the blog so you can see.

As we rode down to the beach later, the road felt like big potholes. We bounced around in the car. On the side of the road we saw goats and cows. Women and men were with their children. Some children were wandering around without their parents. Many were dressed in clothes like we have. Some were just in their underwear and tank tops because they didn’t have enough money to buy bathing suits.

I go to school here. At school lunch the principal rings a bell. The students get their food. Some go out with their friends to stores and buy stuff like hot dogs. You are allowed to leave school and walk to the store. One of our friends eats fried chicken every lunch. Everyone is allowed to share food. The kids like to try my goldfish. Sometimes Alden and I take the bus home with our friends. It costs fifty cents which is like 20 cents for us. You pay the driver when you get off. The car looks like a regular van.

We are having a little problem with mosquitoes so when we come back, you might see us covered in bites.

My favorite part of Dominica is everything. But I miss you all.

Sincerely,

Willow

1 comment:

  1. Willow! It was so great to read your observations...I think you just might have a career as a reporter! It sounds like everything is going great. We are expecting alot of rain this week so enjoy that sunshine. We'll miss you at Gunstock this weekend, but we'll have a hot chocolate for you. Oh, and have a big gulp of coconut milk for us!
    Love,
    Auntie Baba

    ReplyDelete