Saturday, February 26, 2011




Hi everybody! This is Willow.

Yesterday we went to Jacko’s Steps. Before we went there, we learned about the history of slavery in Dominica. It was interesting to compare it to what I have learned about slavery in our country. Jack's Steps were carved by slaves who hid out in the rainforest. Escaped slaves were called “moroons” here. The maroons had their own villages in the rainforest. One of those was at the top of Jacko’s Steps. The steps went down a steep cliff. There were 130 steps. They were the length of my legs. At the bottom of the steps there was a river. My sister, Dad and Mom swung on a vine that led across the river. My friend Alia and I played in the river. Then we hiked back up.

Today we are going to De Leau Chaud. It’s a hot spring that you swim across a river with a strong current to get to. But I can swim across the current by myself. We are going with two friends. Their names are Alia and Tory.
Dominica is an hour difference in time from Portsmouth. It’s 8:40 in the morning here, and it’s 7:40 in New Hampshire.

2 comments: