Monday, March 7, 2011

Jacko's Steps

Yesterday, we went to Jacko’s Steps. Jacko’s Steps is a hike that the Dominican slaves escaped to. It was a very good place to escape to because it is surrounded by thick forest. The steps are named after Jacko, a former slave who had escaped and then helped other slaves escape using the thick forest as a tool. Later, Jacko and the other slaves built the steps to make it easier for the other slaves yet to come.
The hike was a long one, but it was really fun. At the end of the hike, there was a river. Overlooking the river, there was a vine. You could swing on the vine and then look down at the river. My mom and I were interested in swinging on it, but we made my dad go first. When he made it to the other side of the river safely, we jumped right onto the vine. My mom went first, then I went. I grabbed on, and jumped! Swinging on the vine was awesome!!! I did it a couple of times. After I was finished swinging, I swam in the river. We managed to make our way down the river to the rocks. We swam there, where it was deeper. After about an hour, we dried off and headed for the hike back. On the way back, we took the same route.
When we got back, we hopped in the car for a half hour drive.
When we got back to our village, we went to the beach. We played there with our friends for a while. We spent half the time swimming, and half the time playing on the beach. It was nice to have a relaxing time after all the hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment