Saturday, March 3, 2012

Willow's notes from teaching

Teaching was fun!!!! We read a story to the third grade class called The Happy Lion and I led a discussion with the class. The next day, my mom and I wrote a play for the kids to do. We brought props for each part which was fun. One person was king and wore a Burger King crown. Six kids were the townspeople and they had food and shopping bags. Six people were the servants and they had cooking spoons, mops etc. The second grade class was the audience.

Although the kids did not memorize their lines for the play. They were pretty good at theirs roles. The play was supposed to teach the children to appreciate what they have. The play did not go as I expected it would because the children were talking most of the time. It made me know what teachers have to go through when kids don’t listen sometimes the kids pass notes to each other about the teacher. A couple boys in my sister’s class did that about my mom.

My mom told the class about the expression “The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side.” They didn’t know what that meant. After the play, I said, “FREEZE!” It worked and even the teacher froze. Then I asked the class some questions. I told them to take out a piece of paper and write about what makes you happy and what you appreciate. They had all kinds of ideas like birthday parties, their parents, siblings, cousins, sweets, books, tv and friends.

When I was teaching, I felt energetic and like I was making a difference in the class. I don’t think I would like to be a teacher though when I grow up because you have to deal with too many things and sometimes kids don’t pay attention. I would rather be a mom of two kids and a nanny for dogs like 101 Dalmations and have a lot of dogs. I would also like to be an artist because I am good at art now so I’ll be even better at art later.

5 comments:

  1. Billow, your class and Mrs. Fiji would be SO impressed! You look SO confident! We can't wait to hear what makes your students/friends happy. Great job! xoxo
    **You are MEANT to be a Dog Nanny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Channing SaltonstallMarch 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM

    I agree, Willow, teaching is not an easy thing at all! Good for you for getting up there anyway and having fun with it. I wish I had thought of using "freeze!" when I was teacher. What I like best about your lesson is that you taught to different learning styles, which I think is really important.
    I can't wait to read what else you get up to while you are there.
    love your cousin, Channing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Willow - It takes a lot of guts to get in front of room full of people. I'm so impressed and proud of you. I can't wait to read your play. Have you heard of "Harold and the Purple Crayon"? That might be a good follow on to the message you wanted to get across. I don't think you should give up on the teacher path; your instincts as exampled by saying "Freeze", suggest to me that you are a natural. Give my love to Mom, Dad and Adlen. Hugs- Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Willow, you would be a great nanny for dogs! But you can walk Moochie on a leash and pretend he is a dog when you get home. Hope you and Alden are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Willow- you are so energetic and creative. I am sure everyone loved you. Just remember your thoughts about being a teacher when you go back to your school and be polite and respectful every day! Sometimes, though, it feels the same way when you are a mom- you put all your time into teaching/parenting and no one listens- not even our goofy lab Rocket!

    ReplyDelete