Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Alden's Final Dominica Reflections

St. Joseph’s was very different than Little Harbour. I am glad that I got to go to the Dominican school but it wasn’t as easy as I thought it was going to be. The academics weren’t the hard part, it was everything else. Just looking at the classroom made me think about how lucky we are at LHS to have newer desks, a classroom library, comfy chairs, and a tiled floor. We have so many people to help us when the teacher needs to leave the room. In Dominica, the kids get crazy when the teacher steps out for a minute. The academics seemed about a year or two behind ours because some kids don’t put as much of an effort into learning or they don’t have the supplies they need for school projects. Many of my friends came over after school and borrowed pencils or markers. They liked to see what my LHS homework was and if there was any way they could help us with it or do it too. We brought along extra math journals and we gave them out to the kids we knew. They were psyched and we felt good about ourselves. Going to Dominica every year helps us feel more grateful for what we do have and give us time away from all of the stuff that most people “cannot live without” here in NH .


Now That I Am Back at My Own School
I am happy to see my friends here but I miss my friends there. I look at the kids and wish that every one could have the experience I had. It’s nice to have after school activities

1 comment:

  1. What great stories. I read through them all. I am so proud of you!!!
    Where can I find pictures????? I would love to hear more and see more photos!!! It sounds like you really were able to have a greater appreciation of LHS and Portsmouth. What an incredible experience! And going gain to open a library??WOW You are very special!!!

    Madame Berman

    ReplyDelete